Viewing entries tagged

Bee Stings

Summertime brings out the bees and sometimes, no matter how careful we try to be with our children, they get STUNG! When this happens, scrape out the stinger gently at the level of the skin. (Grabbing the stinger with your fingers can actually result in more venom being injected into your child.)

Immediately after a sting, your child will experience pain and some swelling.
These symptoms usually resolve within a couple of hours. Some children have swelling and redness that persists for a few days. If this does occur, please contact one of our physicians.

For mild reactions, apply a cold compress to the area. This will help decrease symptoms. Home remedies such as meat tenderizer (that helps to denature the venom proteins) and toothpaste do work. Finally, oral Benadryl is helpful in reducing the allergic response associated with beestings.

Call 911 if your child displays any of the following symptoms:
*Sudden onset of a hoarse voice, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing *Lightheadedness, dizziness or loss of consciousness
*Nausea, diarrhea or vomiting